An earthquake of 7.8 magnitude hit Nepal on April 25 just before noon (local time). As of Day 4 after the quake, the death toll has exceeded 4,300 with rescues still focussed within Kathmandu. Many major roads are impassable, hospitals are overcrowded and people are in despair; thousands have lost their homes and loved ones; they are in need of food, water and shelter, and their future looks bleak.
In Dhading district where we have most of our village churches, 10 of our churches have been wiped out by the quake. A local village pastor who survived the ordeal reported that in his village, “Nothing is standing”.
At present the statuses of the affected villages are still unknown. We are still unable to establish how many have survived the ordeal, how many are injured and what their immediate needs are.
ACROSS, the relief arm of the Diocese of Singapore has released information regarding how each of us can help with financial donations through the Anglican Church in Nepal:
• A freewill offering will be collected for the relief project for the Deanery of Nepal during your services over the two weekends - 2nd & 3rd May and 9th & 10th May, 2015.
• For cash contributions from local churches and individuals, please send them through your respective parishes.
• For cheque contributions, please make out your cheque to “The Diocese of Singapore” and mark the back of your cheque “Nepal Relief”. Please mail it to: The Diocese of Singapore, 1 Francis Thomas Drive #01-01, Singapore 359340
• For telegraphic transfers of donations from overseas, please take note of the following details:
Account name: The Synod of the Diocese of Singapore
Bank: The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
Branch: Collyer Quay
Address: 21 Collyer Quay
#01-01 HSBC Building
Account No: 141-831222-001
Swift code: HSBC SGSG
Please also pray for:
• The medical and crisis relief workers
• Coordination of water, food and temporary shelters
• The Nepalese as they brave this catastrophe and the coming monsoon season
• The Anglican Church in Nepal, that it will shine for Christ in this difficult time.
Visit ACROSS for the latest info here for the latest information on how to volunteer in a crisis relief team.