History

Our History, prevailing through the years of strife and oppression in God’s name. In the many years that have passed, the Lord has been merciful to us, allowing growth in the Word and Spirit. This also gives an example of our achievements over the past century, all of which would not have been possible on our own human strength. Glory be to God!

  

  

  • 1819 Early Anglican settlers from British East India Company in Singapore
  • 1826 Founding of Anglican Church in Singapore
  • St Andrew's Church1837 First Anglican church building erected
    (photo on the right)
  • 1842 Founding of the first girl's school in Singapore by Mrs Maria Dyer, a missionary of the London Missionary Society; the school was later called
    St Margaret's School
  • 1856 Formation of St Andrew's Church Mission
  • 1870 Consecration of St Andrew's Cathedral
  • 1881 Singapore officially named as part of the Diocese of Singapore, Labuan and Sarawak
  • 1884 St John's Church built in Jurong
  • 1909 New Diocese of Singapore established
    Rt Revd Charles James Ferguson-Davie became first Bishop of Singapore
  • 1910 Formation of Singapore Diocesan Association
  • 1913 Opening of Diocese's first clinic, in Chinatown; beginning of Diocese's medical work
  • 1914 St Andrew's School recognised by government as a first grade school
  • 1923 Tamil Diocesan Council established
    St Andrew's Mission Hospital for women and children established at Erskine Road
  • 1929 Three dialect services available, Hokkien, Cantonese and Foochow in Diocesan churches
  • 1931 Chinese Diocesan Council set up
  • 1939 Diocese set up Singapore's first orthopaedic hospital in Siglap
  • 1940 Foundation stone laid for first Tamil church, Christ Church at Dorset Road
  • 1942-45 Singapore came under Japanese Occupation
  • 1952 Formation of Synod Church of the True Light erected
  • 1953 Chapel built next to St Andrew's School, later became Church of the Ascension in 1961 Mandarin service started in St Andrew's Cathedral
  • 1955 Our Saviour's Church built
  • 1956 Anglican High School set up for education in Chinese
  • 1957 St Margaret's Secondary School set up at Farrer Road
  • 1959 Church of the Good Shepherd built
  • 1963 Church of the Epiphany set up
  • Bishop Chiu Ban It1966 Consecration of Rt Revd Chiu Ban It as first Malayan-born Bishop of the Diocese of Singapore and Malaya (photo on the right)
    Church of Our Saviour established
  • 1967 New congregation started in St Margaret's School in Farrer Road
  • 1970 Diocese of West Malaysia formed with Rt Revd Roland Koh as Bishop
  • 1972 Bishop Chiu's charismatic experience, turning point in Diocese's stand on charismatic worship
  • 1974 Weekly "Prayer and Praise" charismatic services started at St Andrew's Cathedral
  • 1976 Foundation Stone laid for St Andrew's Junior College
  • 1980 St Andrew's Cathedral opened a home for the aged at Clementi
  • 1982 Installation of the Rt Revd Moses Tay as the 7th Bishop of Singapore
  • 1984 Diocesan Lay Training Programme (DLT) launched
  • 1986 Diocese published its first bilingual service book Singapore Anglican Welfare Council (SAWC) set up Whampoa Christian Centre
  • 1992 St Andrew's Community Hospital opened SAWC started Elliot Centre for women with psychiatric disabilities East Coast Care Centre opened for families in crises
  • 1993 Diocese of Singapore resumed work in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos
  • 1994 Diocesan Church Planting Fund set up
  • 1995 Consecration of Archdeacon John Tan Teng Wei as Assistant Bishop
  • 1995 Second edition of the Diocese of Singapore Service Book published
  • Provincial Logo1996 Province of South East Asia established comprising the Dioceses of Kuching, Sabah, Singapore and West Malaysia (Provincial Logo on the right) Most Revd Dr Moses Tay appointed as the first Archbishop
  • 1996 SAWC started Balestier Care Centre for men with psychiatric disabilities Kallang Care Centre set up for families in crises
  • 1998 St Andrew's Lifestreams opened at the new St Andrew's Centre in Tanjong Pagar
  • 1999 First Cambodian priest ordained
  • 1999 Synod accepts the 50 independent churches in Nepal, to be part of the Diocese of Singapore. Rev Norman Beale is appointed as Dean of Nepal
  • 1999 Synod approves the relocation of St Andrew’s Junior College to Woodsville
  • 2000 Consecration and enthronement of Dr John Chew as the 8th Bishop of Singapore
  • 2001 Synod approves the relocation of Christ Church Secondary School to the new school premises at Woodlands Drive 17
  • 2001 Synod approves the development of the Diocesan Centre within the St Andrew’s Village project (Woodsville site)
  • 2003 Synod grants in-principle approval
  • 2005 Official launch of St Andrew’s Centre for Early Childhood Education
  • 2005 Official opening of Simei Care Centre
  • 2005 Dedication of St Andrew’s Cathedral New Sanctuary
  • 2005 Consecration of Rt Rev Rennis Ponniah as Assistant Bishop
  • 2006 Official Opening of new St Andrew’s Community Hospital
  • 2006 Installation of Bishop John Chew as the 3rd Archbishop of the Province of South East Asia
  • 2006 10th Anniversary of the Province of South East Asia
  • 2006 Synod resolves that each parish shall form a Parish Life Review team to spearhead growth and development in the Diocese
  • 2006 Official Opening of St Andrew’s Village
  • 2006 Official launch of the Singapore Anglican Community Services (SACS) - formerly the Singapore Anglican Welfare Council
  • 2006 150th Anniversary of St Andrew’s Church Mission
  • 2006 Dedication of new St Matthew’s Church building at Eng Hoon Street
  • 2007 Merger of Light of Christ City Church with Christ Church Woodlands to form “Light of Christ Church Woodlands”
  • 2008 Canon Low Jee King appointed as Archdeacon of Singapore
  • 2008 Establishment of a sister-cathedral relationship with St Andrew’s Cathedral, Singapore and All Saints’ Cairo (Egypt)
  • 2009 Diocese of Singapore celebrates her 100th year
  • 2009 Ground breaking Ceremony for Autism Centre, which consists of St Andrew’s Autism School and St Andrew’s Day Activity Centre
  • 2009 The Deanery of Vietnam starts an English Language Centre in Hanoi, Vietnam
  • 2010 The Anglican Church of Thailand ordains its first Anglican Priest
  • 2010 Ground-breaking of St Andrew’s Hall, a new hostel for St Andrew’s Junior College
  • 2010 Inauguration of our 27th parish, St Andrew’s City Church
  • 2010 The Diocese appoints its first Senior Chaplain for Singapore Anglican Community Services / St Andrew’s Mission Hospital
  • 2011 Consecration, Dedication and Official Opening of St Andrew’ Autism Centre at Elliot Road
  • 2011 Induction of our 2nd Archdeacon, Venerable Wong Tak Meng
  • 2012 150th Anniversary of Consecration of St Andrew’s Cathedral Building
  • 2012 Installation of Most Revd Datuk Bolly Lapok as the 4th Archbishop of the Province of South East Asia
  • 2012 Installation of The Rt Revd Rennis S. Ponniah as the 9th Bishop of Singapore

  

  

Page 1 of 1